Why Is My House So Dusty? How To Reduce Dust
Why is my house so dusty, for real, though? Some people probably wouldn’t care, but I’ve always been a researcher and someone who easily gets irritated by repetitive tasks.
You better believe that I was let down by the lack of information I found. I was able to find an article from 1926; however, it was not quite what I was searching for.
Therefore, I kept digging. I figured by understanding why this uninvited guest felt the need to keep returning; I would be in a better position to prevent him from showing up so frequently.
Wouldn’t that be nice?!
7 Easy Home Updates eBook: Free!Today, get a free copy of our ebook that shows you 7 simple updates you can make in your home this weekend that will make your home look expensive and increase its value. Tell us where to send your free copy:
This site uses ads and affiliate content as an Amazon associate earning on qualifying purchases. Disclosure.
Thankfully a much more recent article was published by ACS.org, giving more in-depth insight on the subject and was written in lamens terms. In other words, I didn’t need a degree in biology to understand it.
Here’s The Surprising Truth On How Dust Is Created
The study conducted by David Layton and Paloma Beamer pointed out that house dust consists of a mixture of some pretty nasty things. You don’t say?
Yes, it includes dead skin cells, fibers from upholstered furniture, carpets, and dirt. Don’t even get me started about the dust mites living in our beds!
Most of this airborne particle mixture is found outdoors, which then makes its way into our homes.
There is no doubt that it is gross, but what’s alarming is the level of potentially harmful substances that live within the mix. Among them are lead and arsenic – say what?!!!!
I could only imagine how alarming this is to my mamas out there since toddlers are notorious for placing dust-contaminated toys and objects into their mouths.
Don’t worry; I’m on it!
How Can I Prevent Dust In My House?
The good news is there are ways to minimize the dust.
Since most dust particles make their way into your home from the outdoors, playing defense is our best option. In our household, we have always committed to a no-shoe policy indoors.
To follow through with our commitment, we place our pairs of interior slippers in a shoe bin in our garage.
Not only is our dust level dramatically reduced, but our floors require sooooo much less maintenance because of it.
Now I do realize that you may feel awkward enforcing this policy on friends and family, so my suggestion would be to purchase a good quality doormat for your main entrance when you chicken out.
If you’re extra bold you could try to hang a “Please Remove Your Shoes” sign outside your front door; but despite your best efforts some people will not respect it. I totally feel you on this one!
- Impress your guests, friends and family with our please take your shoes off sign; a unique farmhouse wall decor for the living room
- Quality and sturdy take shoes off sign of solid fir wood frames which will not crack, rot, or break; text sayings are printed on each no shoes in the house sign; includes keyhole slot for easy, flush mount hanging to wall
- The perfect gift that is cute and affordable; please no shoes sign can be used as a clever please take off shoes gift idea or use as shoes off please sign decor
- Please take shoes off farmhouse decor for the entire home; take your shoes off signs for house that will complement any farmhouse front porch decor
- Designed in the USA for superior quality; kindly remove your shoes sign are made with the highest quality and safest materials
What Causes Dust In a Room?
As we walk on our carpets and sit on our furniture, small particulars from these objects become airborne, creating dust.
Could this be where the expression “breaking it in” comes from? Maybe.
Another culprit is our furry pets.
Yes, even petting your cute dog or cat produces dust and hair, which is released into the air.
One way to control their contribution to our losing battle is by making it a habit to keep our furry friends well-groomed.
The trick is to do so by grooming them outside or in a confined area to make the clean-up process a snap.
It really helps to have a pet-hair air purifier too.
Why Is My House So Dusty? Dust-Proof Your Home
If you have trouble keeping up with the vacuuming, consider getting a robot vacuum like the Narwal.
Plus, it also mops your home, too! This greatly helps to reduce all the dust and hair that fly around the air of your home.
Now that we are aware of where dust comes from, here are ways to help us manage it.
Dusting Hacks You’ll Be Thankful For
Let’s Explore How To Handle Hard-To-Reach Places.
As I mentioned before, it’s a losing battle, so playing defense will be our best option.
For hard-to-reach places like on top of cabinets don’t even bother trying to find ladders and risk falling.
Instead, use newspaper to line the kitchen cupboards.
Every so often, toss the paper out and replace it. You can also use a kitchen cupboard shelf liner. Easy breezy!
- Non-slip, non-adhesive cabinet liner: Smart Design shelf liners made with non-adhesive material that provides an extra strong grip to prevent slipping or sliding; designed with bonded layers so the liner doesn’t fray, split or come apart with daily use
- Protect shelves, drawers or any flat surface: High-quality shelf liners made to protect surfaces from everyday wear and tear; ideal for covering shelves, cabinets, closets, drawers or other flat surfaces; dimensions: 12 inwidex10ftlong
- Easy application: Our cupboard liner is easy to cut and apply with no adhesive needed; simply measure and cut your desired size and shape; easily wash and wipe these shelf liners for kitchen cabinets clean with a damp cloth
- Versatile design: Our selection of colors and designs will add style to any form of home improvement; use a shelf liner (non-adhesive) to freshen up your desk and office supplies, bathroom storage space, or your cabinets and kitchen storage
- Smart Design, simplified living: As a family-owned company, we have been making people's lives more convenient for over 50 years; we offer storage & organizational solutions that help people optimize the organization of their homes, offices & lives
Declutter Your Home
If you want to cut down your cleaning time, try to eliminate all the unnecessary knick-knacks and chachkies.
As a side note, your home décor will love you back as most homeowners tend to over-decorate.
To truly bring out the beauty in your furniture and accessories, less is often more. Why? It allows for each piece to have “breathing room” in order to showcase its beauty.
If you need help decluttering you may want to read, How To Organize Your Room FAST.
Best Flooring Options To Consider
Carpets not only produce dust but trap it as well; therefore, consider other options.
When possible, opt for wood flooring.
And if choosing area rugs, lean towards a low pile rug like these.
Cut Back On Fabric Where Possible
Adding faux leather seating or throw pillows into your décor can eliminate some of your fabric and improve the aesthetics of your overall design.
- Material: Durable Soft Faux Leather, Comfortable & Cozy Touch, Add a Composite Fabric to the Back, Superior Quality, High Class, Green Eco-friendly Fabric, Solid Dyed
- Contains: Set of 2 Square Leather Throw Pillow Covers/Cases, 16" X 16" (40 X 40cm), Invisible Zipper Closure In One Side, No Insert or Filler
- Feature: Rich Solid Color of Leather Cushion Covers Add a Cozy Yet Contemporary Touch To Your Living Space. Great Christmas Holiday Gifts to Your Family & Friends
- Usage: The Seal Brown Leahter Pillow Covers Brings Gorgeous Look To Your Home Decorative, Living Room, Bedding, Couch, Sofa, Offices, Kitchen, Chair, Lounge, Car, Garden Patio, Holiday Gifts, Etc
- Washing Tips: Wiping With a Wet Cloth or Machine Wash Cold Separately, Gently Cycle Only, No Bleach, Tumble Dry Low, Do Not Iron, Low Temperature and Easy Washing
Unfortunately, drapes are a magnet for dust and need to be cleaned more often than we care for.
When shopping for fabric window treatments, consider purchasing ones that are machine washable.
This way, you will be able to clean the collection of dust more often than if they are dry clean only.
Of course, modern roller shades would be a better option.
- Deluxe Cordless Spring Roller for precise and efficient height adjustment.
- Light Filtering - Total Privacy - Draft Reducing
- Cordless Mechanism is Child and Pet Safe
- Can be mounted inside or outside the window frame - 2 & 1/4" of depth needed for inside mounting.
- Listed size width is precise width of the headrail - actual fabric is 1" narrower.
How To Reduce Dust In Your Home
If you were to apply all the suggestions above, you would probably be sitting in a bare and depressing space right now.
To be clear, I don’t recommend going to extremes, but you should consider at least one or two to cut down on your dust.
When it’s time to collect the dust bunnies here are some suggestions.
Air filters should be replaced at least once per season. If you have pets or are remodeling your home filters will require replacement more often.
Work From Top To Bottom
To not duplicate your efforts, you should work from top to bottom due to dust falling downward. Begin with ceiling fans which are in the center of the room and then move on to ceiling moldings.
Many people may not be aware, but microfiber cloths are electrostatically charged. In other words, they attract dust, which allows you to clean more efficiently.
- Ultra soft, non-abrasive microfiber cleaning cloths will not scratch paints, vinyl, glass, finishes or other surfaces
- Effectively cleans either dry or with liquid cleaners for streak-free and lint-free results
- Absorbent cleaning cloths soak up eight times their own weight
- Pack comes with three different towel colors (blue, yellow, and white)
- Rinse and reuse the durable, washable cleaning cloths 100's of times
Simply spray your favorite cleaner directly on the cloth and go at it.
You should not use fabric softeners while washing microfiber cloths since they will absorb the waxy build-up and no longer work as well.
Moldings, Corners & Door Frames
If you have a vacuum that allows you to extend the handle, that would be your best bet. If not, just grab a mop or broom pole and cover the end with a microfiber cloth or sock.
To make sure it stays secure use an elastic band.
Don’t forget the baseboards while you’re at it.
You can also use a duster with a long pole:
- 20 Foot High Reach Duster Kit Includes: 5-12 feet aluminum extension pole, soft bristles cobweb duster, microfiber feather duster and a chenille ceiling fan duster. All accessories can be screwed to any standard 3/4" trapezoidal threaded rod tip. These three brush heads can cover almost all your daily cobweb and dust cleaning. Buy this set in just this budget for dusting work would be a good deal for everyone. Now, throw your ladder and broom away and let our kit to help you!
- 3-Range Aluminum Telescopic Extension pole: Made of premium aluminum to ensure lightweight, rust-proof, sturdy and durable. THREE RANGES can be adjusted according to your needs for height. The NON-SLIP EVA FOAM hand grip ensures comfort and reliable grip in wet conditions. REACH UP to 20 feet when fully extended which is enough to clean even highest gables without extra ladders or broom.
- Cobweb Duster: Through static electricity, you can easily clean cobwebs, walls, baseboards, ceiling fans, cabinets, corners, floors, under counters and popcorn ceilings with it. The proper contour shape and soft bristles remove dust and cobweb in the corners to protect the surface from scratches.
- Microfiber Feather Duster: It is made up of tiny microfibers that can attached dust and dirt to it, only when you rinse the duster head with water can the dust be shaken off or washed off and will not float everywhere. Ideal for cleaning furniture, bookshelves, wall-hanging pictures, chandelier, high corners, window screens & sills, blinds. Meanwhile, the BENDABLE HEAD makes it suitable for corners and hard-to-reach areas.
- CEILING Celing Fan Duster: Flexible and bendable duster can be used on the fan blades of any shape. It can be bent and maintained in the required form to maximize the area of dust removal surface and the absorption of dust particles. Great for cleaning ceiling fan, blinds, bookcases, chandelier, furniture, and other hard-to-reach areas and bending-demanded surfaces.
Use the vacuum with the brush attachment to suck up most of the dirt. If necessary, remove the vent with a screwdriver and wash it with mild detergent.
Place a stocking over the suction hose of your vacuum and use it gently around objects. The stocking will prevent the vacuum from sucking anything up.
This tip works great for cleaning those pesky junk drawers.
Pro Tip: Choose one room during your routine cleaning schedule to give special attention to. If you try to do an in-depth cleaning of every room of your house, you will likely be exhausted.
Where Does Dust Come From In An Empty House?
Even if no humans were living in the home, you could bet that some rodents and bugs are likely contributors to the dust.
Second, no home is 100% airtight, and dirt particulars will make their way in from the outdoors.
Why Is My House So Dusty? Conclusion
There you have it! Where dust comes from begins with us shedding away some skin cells, losing our hair, petting our pets, and good ‘ol living.
Don’t think for a minute that I was naive enough to think I was going to win the war, but I will be battling with it less.
After reading this post, you will probably be tossing some curtains in the washer instead.
One thing is for sure, you won’t be asking – “Why is my house so dusty?” anymore.
What To Read Next: Best Eco-Friendly Cleaning Products For A Non-Toxic Home
Thank you for sharing these tips! My house has been so dusty lately, so we got a chem-dry Acadiana carpet cleaning to help. I’m planning on replacing our air filters and I’m going to start having family and guests take off their shoes in my home too!