Hey apartment dwellers! Need some apartment balcony ideas to spice up your outdoor life?
With these apartment deck ideas, even a tiny outdoor space can become a comfortable place to relax and unwind.
We have the advice you need!
Here are some excellent small balcony ideas and meditation balcony ideas to inspire you to create a small space outdoor retreat.
9 Balcony Ideas That Will Spice Up Your Outdoor Apartment Life
Small space living? Do you live in a small apartment with a balcony?
Everyone desires a gorgeous outdoor space.
The good thing is that you don’t require an expansive yard and a beautiful swimming pool because even if you live in an apartment, you can enjoy your outdoors too!
In this article, you’ll gather tips on how to decorate your apartment balcony.
Look around your balcony now. Well, what do you see? Just a table and a chair?
With a few clever apartment deck ideas, anyone can make the most of a small outdoor space and make it look awesome.
But you could be asking yourself: where do I even start?
Knowing how to decorate an apartment balcony can be an art. But it doesn’t have to be hard!
When beautifying your balcony, you have to first keep in mind the following points:
- An apartment balcony is usually smaller than a normal patio. Hence, when buying balcony accessories, you have to keep in mind their sizes to ensure they don’t appear too bulky for your space.
Read Also: 7 Ways to Make your Patio Summer-Ready
- To make your balcony décor procedure an easy one, you can decide to choose a theme and focus on it. I mean, would you want a modern or traditional or farmyard type of balcony? The theme of your balcony can largely be impacted by the design of your apartment. For example, a modern glass apartment will hardly look good with a farmyard-type of balcony.
- Try some layering of colors, textures, and fabrics. For example, you can mix up the textures of your throw pillows and poufs, have some nice rugs around and even the cushions on your sofa.
The balcony, that small extension to your living space that offers you the possibility of viewing the outdoors right from your flat can be transformed into a tranquil spot with these 9 small apartment balcony ideas.
- Hand woven with all-weather resistant natural tan resin wicker around a rust resistant aluminum frame to stand tough against the elements for years of long-lasting use
- Inspired by bohemian style, the Hermosa 3 piece outdoor chat set includes two deep seating armchairs and a round accent table
- Each patio chair includes a UV and weather resistant foam filled seat cushion for optimal comfort and durability
- Chair cushions are removable for easy cleaning – spot clean with a damp rag and mild soap
- Minimal assembly required – customer must connect legs to chairs & table – assembly instructions and hardware included in package
Your balcony can be transformed into an outdoor retreat. However, it is important to figure out the basics.
- Will you need a space for entertaining, relaxing, or dining?
- Is the spot in a sunny or shaded area?
- Does it offer privacy?
Once you take note of these basics, we can go ahead and decorate your balcony.Depending on the available space on your balcony, tailor it to suit your needs and current lifestyle.
1. Have a small table
You don’t need a yard to dine alfresco, because alfresco dining can happen anywhere, even on your balcony.
Take advantage of weekends and work-from-home days and set up an al-fresco dining table that you can use for having meals. Set the table and add natural elements like flowers to add a distinctive style.
Well, a table is already a basic piece of furniture on almost everyone’s balcony but perhaps, you could play around with various designs and actually get a prettier one.
A nice café table creates such a nice café spot on your balcony.
Imagine enjoying a cup of coffee on your balcony with a view of the sunrise.
In fact, you can also enjoy dinner under the moon! So beautiful, right?
- 【5-speed Adjustable Tabletop Height】-Made to fit any deck, patio, or balcony railing, this hanging table has a secure metal clamp on each side that loosens and tightens for easy size adjustment. There are 5 gears to choose from
- 【Strong Material & Easy Care】-All the frames is made of industrial-grade thick aluminum and 304 stainless steel screws, which can easily cope with the harsh outdoor environment without fear of wind, sun and rain. Thus, this hanging table will be suitable for outdoors and indoors
- 【Saving Space】-Multi-use Wall-mounted balcony table to give you extra work or dining space, Takes up very little floor space while in use and folds down flat with minimal effort when it's no longer needed, allowing for easy storage, Only 9cm after folding
- 【Applicable Railing Types】-Square metal railings, square double rails, radiators, wooden railings, and round metal railings are all suitable.making it ideal for a portable grill, food, drinks, decor, and more
- 【Easy Assembly】-Hang and tighten it over the rail in just seconds, and snap the brace in to hold the table up; Desktop size: 4 sizes to choose from; the table top is large enough for snacks, drinks, bear, wine, etc.
Furnishing your balcony creates an outdoor space that is functional and purposeful.
So, before your add furniture to your balcony, consider how you plan on using it.
Also, the size of your balcony will determine the size of the furniture. You don’t want to overwhelm a tiny balcony with an oversized sofa or let a large planter takeover your space.
Make it proportional and arrange your furniture in a way that allows for free movement within the balcony, considering the number of people who can use your balcony at a time.
You May Also Like: How To Choose The Right Furniture For Your Home
2. Add some foldable seats
Your café table won’t be complete without the nice foldable seats.
Foldable seats make it very easy to store them aside especially if you’d want to create extra space on your small apartment balcony.
Go for chairs that are lightweight so that you can move them around easily as much as they provide maximum comfort while sitting on them.
Also, don’t forget to install a vertical shelf that can provide a surface for organizing your office, and outdoor kitchen items as well as growing plants in containers.
Take working from home to the next level by designing an outdoor office on your balcony. What you need is a comfortable chair, an office desk, and a bookshelf. You can always bring out your computer or laptop and other organizers to keep your space neat.
Be sure to mix prints, patterns, and textures by introducing textiles. From using pillows and an outdoor area rug to a simple outdoor throw or that can keep you cozy at night.
3. You can even have a nested swing
This is one of my favorite apartment deck ideas!
A nested swing is ideal where you don’t want to take the trouble of putting in hooks on the ceiling.
This self-standing swing lets you cocoon in peace on your balcony.
- PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION REQUIRED: Professional installation is required for this swing chair. This is not intended for use by children 12 years of age or younger. Please note that this product does not include a hanging stand or mounting hardware.
- TEARDROP BASKET CHAIR: Featuring a graceful teardrop shape, this chair encapsulates you in its cozy structure, giving you maximum comfort to lounge about. Finished with an intricate weave design, this chair gives your space an eye-catching modern look. This basket should be installed no more than 20-inches above the ground with a minimum of 4.5-feet away from the walls. This should also maintain a minimum clearance of 30-inches from any obstacles.
- POLYETHYLENE RATTAN: Featuring a long-lasting woven finish, this style is not only incredibly durable, but also provides a versatile appearance. The handcrafted details of this material allow this piece to blend seamlessly with your outdoor decor.
- WATER-RESISTANT CUSHIONS: Our plush, tufted cushions are covered with a non-porous material that makes cleaning any spill a breeze. Please note that these cushions are water-resistant and not waterproof. Please do not submerge in water.
- DIMENSIONS: Choose an accessory that is the perfect size for you and your furniture. This basket chair is 38.00” W x 23.50” D x 48.00” H. You will love how much your space can transform with the simple addition of this charming chair.
4. Hang a balcony bench
Adding warmth to your balcony with a wooden old-school bench can add personality to your balcony.
It is comfortable even when you want to lay! Just add some pillows and reminisce.
There is plenty of small balcony furniture and you can even go for other types of balcony benches.
And don’t forget to get some stylish outdoor pillows, too.
5. What about the shade?
Easy apartment balcony cover ideas: simple standing shade!
Yes! Any time, please!
A nice shade will serve a lot of purposes. It will protect you from the summer heat and also, the rain!
Shades are normally waterproof so you never have to worry about the rain dripping on you or the shade wetting up.
All you will need to do is get that warm coffee.
Consider having some natural bug repellents nearby, such as citronella candles, apple cider vinegar, and lavender mix, and also, protect your dishes as well so no flies and mosquitos hover all over the meal.
Don’t ignore your balcony space, it could be the perfect spot for a stylish outdoor dining area!
6. And some greens and flowers
You may not have a full backyard, but by utilizing these backyard balcony ideas, you almost won’t notice!
Want to enhance the view of your balcony? All plant life!
Plants and flowers let the balcony serve its original purpose…
Which is, actually having plants!
Greenery helps anchor the space and inject life into your balcony.
You can choose to plant flowers, herbs, edibles, or other outdoor plants and it will look so charming and inviting!
Create a planter wall with a variety of plants including climbing plants, add planter boxes to your balcony railing and bring your balcony to life with beautiful blooms.
Install planter boxes along the balcony railing where you can plant flowers.
You can also hang the plants directly from your ceiling or along your walls or line your window cill.
Plant as many greens and flowers as you can and you’ll even be luckier if your balcony gets plenty of sunlight during summer.
Some balconies may also be completely shaded. If you want to know if a plant will thrive in your lighting conditions, read the plant description. Also, don’t forget to water your plants on regular basis.
A balcony garden has never disappointed anyone!
Consider how much sunlight your balcony receives at different times of the day before purchasing plants. “Full sun” refers to six or more hours of direct sunlight, whereas “part sun” refers to about half of that.
7. Outdoor string lights
If you have an apartment living room with balcony attached, extend the indoor mood into the outdoor space with great lighting.
Pendant lighting is the latest form of stylish lighting that you can have in your home.
Radiate your balcony with some amazing pendant lights which will be so useful during the night.
And since lighting is a crucial part of creating a homely feel, you’ll need some lights.
Good enough, you can go for portable pendant lights in case you are warry about leaving your lighting outdoors.
You can even string the lights up to turn your balcony into a magical hideaway!
Watching the starry night while sipping some warm chocolate drink would be so welcome in a properly lit balcony, right?
Brighten up your balcony by installing subtle lighting. This also ensures you can use your balcony at night. The key is to create a warm and inviting ambient light to really set the mood!
String lights can help cast a cozy glow while dining alfresco while gorgeous lanterns with pretty intricate designs add an artsy feel to your space.
Pendant lights also work wonders for outdoor balconies and table lamps are a classic way to light up any balcony.
8. Must-have hammocks & Comfy Chill Space
Vacation vibes should not only be experienced while away on vacation!
Even apartment dwellers like you can actually experience the vibe.
And it’s simple! You can easily install a hammock on your balcony and watch it turn vacay-ready.
- STRONG & DURABLE DESIGN - The 20 hanging ropes on each side of the chair will help distribute your weight evenly and keep you balanced. The cotton-polyester blended fabric is resistant to stains and tears and is weather resistant. Because of the superior poly-cotton blend, the chair is both breathable and long-lasting.
- ROBUST WEIGHT CAPACITY - The heavy-duty yet premium soft cotton canvas fabric along with the solid wood spreader bar are designed to withstand up to 330 lbs. The overall dimensions are 40"W x 51"H. The wood spreader bar is 38.5"L with a 1.5" diameter. The strong wood spreader bar keeps the shape of the chair to allow you easy access in and out.
- ULTIMATE COMFORT - The soft, thick and plush back and seat cushions are so comfortable and relaxing. The cloud-like comfort of the cushions were designed to give you hours of comfort. The cushions are 17.5” x 17.5", roomy enough to make it your new favorite lounge spot.
- MULTIPLE USES - This hammock chair was designed with a small footprint so you can relax indoors or outdoors. Perfect for meditation, concentration, focus, and relaxation. Use it in you bedroom, living room, patio, porch, deck, yard, garden, balcony or anywhere you can hang it.
- MAINTENANCE & CARE - Clean with water and gentle detergent occasionally. Make sure that you dry the hammock chair before you store it. For storage, place it in the included storage bag to keep the fabric clean while storing.
So you thought that the outdoor daybeds are only meant for big, spacious patios, right?
Well, you are mistaken!
Depending on the size of your balcony, you can actually bring in a day bed, a hanging outdoor bed or a chaise lounge in order to create a good unwinding spot.
Feel free to add some throw-on pillows for an extra dose of comfort.
Remember to also take advantage of the view that your balcony provides.
And don’t forget to pick up a quality outdoor rug to ground the space and bring your patio design altogether.
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR DURABILITY: Give your patio, deck or porch an instant makeover with an indoor/outdoor rug; Low-pile synthetic rug fibers are durable enough for high-traffic spaces; an easy-care option for living areas and kids’ bedrooms too;
- STAIN-RESISTANT AND PET-FRIENDLY: This rug is made from synthetic fibers that resist UV fading; The pet-friendly low-pile construction won’t accumulate dirt, and spills clean up easily; It’s been machine-woven so the rug fibers will stay put;
- EASY TO CARE FOR: Vacuum and sweep regularly to prevent grit from breaking down fibers; To wash an outdoor rug, spray the surface with a 5-1 mixture of mild dish soap and water then rise with a garden hose and hang over a railing to dry thoroughly;
- Power loomed with a 0.31" pile that's soft and durable
- The beige and ivory color scheme is a modern take on neutral, graphic Moroccan rugs
9. Mini Bar
You may not have the space for a full bar, but this small, portable mini bar is perfect for an apartment balcony!
Not only does it double as a side table, but it lifts up to a full ice cooler, to keep your drinks chilled.
10. Go For Privacy
Most apartments or flats are designed with balconies that help connect the indoors to the outdoors.
A balcony is a convenient place to chill and relax during the day.
Lucky you if your balcony has walls to the side and maybe, blinds at the front for added privacy.
However, you can always use outdoor curtains and drapes to enclose your balcony in style.
Bamboo roll-up blinds also offer excellent privacy and some additional protection from the elements.
Shutters can add a quaint, unique quality to your balcony if your space has floor-to-ceiling wooden pillars or supports while pre-made privacy screens, particularly those with artificial leaves √ add a dose of greenery with privacy to your balcony.
Awesome Small Apartment Balcony Ideas – Conclusion
When decorating your balcony, the key is to make it simple. Most balconies are small so cluttering your space with decorative items is not ideal. Don’t go overboard with furniture, and accessories.
You want to be able to relax out there after all!
Now you know how to decorate an apartment balcony.
Even if there isn’t much space on your balcony where you can include all these pieces of furniture, you can simply make it a scenic view spot.
If you can see the city at night, then good for you!
To wrap up, your luxe apartment patio essentials:
- Patio chairs/sofa and or hammock
- Lost of outdoor cushions and pillows
- Patio table
- An outdoor rug Rug
- Lots of plants
- Just add the wine/cocktails
- Check out these Summer Patio Essentials, too!
Did you love these small apartment balcony ideas?
Tag me on Instagram @chelseaclarke.co so that I can check out how your balcony decorating turns out!