If you love grilling and cooking outdoors, then you must be looking for outdoor kitchen ideas to add to your yard.
Indeed, the warm season is here already, but is your backyard ready?
Starting a backyard project as soon as now will allow you to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors. And this season, outdoor kitchens are on the rise!
Here’s the fabulous outdoor kitchen inspiration you’ve been searching for!
Adding an outdoor kitchen to your yard provides a great place to entertain.
Guests will gather around the BBQ grill and socialize as dinner is being cooked as food is grilled on the patio.
Outdoor kitchens significantly increase the value of your home; when you have a functional outdoor kitchen, you have an investment you can enjoy for many years to come.
For sure, an outdoor kitchen will greatly expand your living space outdoors. Whether you have a small yard space or an expansive one, we share amazing tips for creating an outdoor kitchen as well as ideas to inspire your next backyard project.
You May Also Like: 15 Creative Backyard Decor Ideas to Try
Factors to Consider Before Creating an Outdoor Kitchen
Research, preparation, imagination, experience, and patience are all required when planning a home improvement project. Some homeowners tend to employ designers, while others prefer to do it themselves.
In either case, there are numerous considerations to make during a home improvement project, particularly when designing outdoor kitchens. These include:
1. The Location
The immediate location of your home will affect the kind of outdoor kitchen you can build, and even when you can use your outdoor kitchen.
Usually, summer is the best time to use an outdoor kitchen. So, when designing your outdoor kitchen, plan for warm temperatures and plenty of sun, and be prepared to take any measures.
It is wise to build your outdoor kitchen under an existing shade or consider installing new sources of shade, so you and your guests stay comfortable all year.
No matter how beautiful your outdoor kitchen turns out, it is essential that it blends in well with the surrounding environment, so it can look natural like it was meant to be there the whole time!
Again, the location of an outdoor kitchen should be near your home to make it easy to prepare and transport food.
2. The Space & Layout
The size of available space in your yard will determine the size of your outdoor kitchen, thus, the layout as well whether U-Shaped, L-Shaped, Side-by-Side or a Galley.
Think about the size of the area you need for entertaining, ideally, how much amount space each person will get after the complete installation. Consider your family first before looking at how much space there is for other friends too.
Carefully take note of any existing yard features that you want to complement- pools, or gardens, for instance.
Also, be wary of design overlap. You do not want your outdoor kitchen covering to shade your vegetable garden.
To make a smooth transition between indoors and outdoors, it’s a good idea to put your outdoor kitchen closer to your indoor kitchen.
- [RECESSED HANDLE] The sleek and ergonomic recessed handle delight each opening with comfortable hand feeling.
- [ANTI-CORROSION] This BBQ Drawer is made of 304 stainless steel and corrosion resistant materials with a choice of brushed finish designed to withstand years of exposure while resisting nicks and scratches.
- [TRIPLE DRAWERS] JIE JIN Stainless steel drawer is designed with 3 storage space, Provides extra large space to store kitchen supplies. It's a good choice to add the stainless drawer to your island storage.
- [SMOOTH SLIDING RAILS] Feel intuitive smoothness with smooth sliding rails ensures effortless movement pull-in and pull-out of this drawer smoothly.
- [WIDELY APPLICATIONS] The stainless drawer set great for all other outside conditions as rain or shine. Especially for outdoor kitchen and outdoor grill island.
3. The Utilities
When planning your outdoor kitchen layouts, keep in mind the best practical access to utilities like gas, water, and electrical supply to ensure you design your kitchen accordingly.
Furthermore, when placing your grill or smoker, consider the natural flow of the wind to ensure the smoke from the grill is carried away from the dining and living areas. You should also consider placing the kitchen area far enough away from doors and entryways to keep foot traffic away from possible hazards.
4. Your Budget
Every backyard project including creating an outdoor kitchen will require a financial investment. Thus, your budget will affect the kind of layout and the appliances you can have in your kitchen.
As much as you want an inviting outdoor kitchen, always work within your budget because there is something for everyone!
5. Your Kitchen’s Functionality
An outdoor kitchen is more than just a grill and countertops. Since most homeowners desire a fun outdoor entertainment spot, a fully-equipped, outdoor kitchen where you can grill your favorite foods, and enjoy them with all of your family and friends while entertaining, is a great idea.
Knowing what purpose you want your outdoor kitchen to serve will help know what kitchen appliances to include: a grill, oven, power burner, cook set, grill set, skewer system, French press, knife set, bar cart and more.
Also, keep all outdoor cooking equipment away from places where children or people participate in sports to avoid balls from being thrown onto a hot grill.
- If you are on the hunt for more Dining chars for your patio set, than look no further than these wooden armed chairs, with a sturdy frame and clean wood line, These dining chairs are a must have, the water resistant fabric of the cushions will stand up to the little messes of life, allowing you to use these chairs to the fullest extent
- Includes: two (2) dining chairs
- Material: Acacia wood | cushion material: Water resistant fabric | Composition: 100% polyester | finish: teak | cushion color: cream
- Dimensions: 21.25 inches deep x 22.50 inches wide x 35.50 inches high | seat Width: 20.00 inches | seat Depth: 18.00 inches | seat Height: 17.00 inches
- Assembly required
6. Offer a View!
No guest wants to sit down to eat at the table and face a brick wall or an old garden shed in your backyard!
You want to provide a perfect location for your outdoor kitchen that provides an amazing backyard view- possibly to the swimming pool, or garden among other stunning backyard features.
The location should also provide the most privacy from neighbors: using screens and screening views with trees and shrubbery will provide privacy while also providing a noise buffer for your close neighbors.
You May Also Like: 15 Ideas for Landscaping your Yard Without Grass
Inviting Outdoor Kitchen Ideas To Create One In Your Yard
You can easily transform a patio by building an outdoor kitchen and a dining area in this paved location of your yard. This actually makes work easier!
Another option is to add your simple kitchen by the pool, under a covered deck, an extended roof.
The latter option allows you to enjoy the grilling season, even when the weather is not there.
Ready to install an outdoor kitchen in your yard? have all the factors above in mind? Then try these 20 inviting outdoor kitchen ideas for your yard:
1. Build a Compact Kitchen
A compact outdoor kitchen is a simple, effective, and perfect outdoor kitchen for small spaces in great outdoors.
These kitchen kits are easy-to-install prefabricated kitchens, though you still have to connect them to water and gas lines.
They can be bought and installed by experts or by yourself.
A fire grill is usually the focal point of a compact outdoor kitchen., and includes weather-tight cabinetry built-in for storage.
It can also include a pizza oven sitting atop the countertop.
Thus, a compact outdoor kitchen allows you to cook restaurant-quality bbs and pizzas in your own backyard.
2. BBQ Area with an Oven
Even if you’re just grilling up a short weeknight meal, the fresh air and hot grill will put you in the mood for a holiday.
So, even if you have small yard space, fit in a BBQ area. You can acquire a gas or charcoal grill, or even choose to grill campfire-style by using a stone fire pit with attached grilling grates.
Consider the type of grill, how much you’ll be grilling, how much storage space you have, what flavor you want, and how much time and energy you’ll want to devote to cooking when choosing a grill.
Outdoor gas grills are very popular, and indeed they fit right into any contemporary outdoor kitchen space complete with modern fixtures and ample seating and counter space.
- Power Source: Propane/ liquid petroleum gas. The propane tank is not included.
- Exclusive Stainless Steel finish for increased style and durability
- Reliable electric ignition to fire up your grill and 10, 000 BTU side burner
- Porcelain-coated grease pan is durable and can be removed for easy cleaning
- Stainless Steel burners emit flame from the top to allow for even cooking
A simple cast-iron grill can work too for a relaxed vibe!
- Outdoor gas heater with 46,000 BTUs, providing heat up to a 9-foot radius. Ideal for commercial cafes and restaurants or residential patios
- Made with aluminum, sturdy plastic, and rugged steel with a durable powder-coated finish that stands up to outdoor elements
- Piezo ignition system for easy push-button start ups; requires 20lb Liquid Propane Gas tank (not included); chain to help secure LPG tank provided.
- Safety auto shut-off tilt valve; waterbox for adding weight to the base; wheel assembly included for easy mobility
- Secure the patio heater when not in use to avoid any potential damage to the patio heater
3. Add an Outdoor Bar Area
Every backyard needs an outdoor bar, especially as part of your outdoor kitchen.
They make entertaining outside a simple and stylish adventure.
If you don’t have a ton of space, this small bar can tuck into just about any corner of your patio, deck, or yard.
4. The Seating Area
A seating area is a mandatory option for all sizes of yards, especially when you host gatherings.
Add comfortable weatherproof chairs or sofas depending on how tall the table or countertop is.
- Hand woven with all-weather resistant natural tan resin wicker around a rust resistant aluminum frame to stand tough against the elements for years of long-lasting use
- Inspired by bohemian style, the Hermosa 3 piece outdoor chat set includes two deep seating armchairs and a round accent table
- Each patio chair includes a UV and weather resistant foam filled seat cushion for optimal comfort and durability
- Chair cushions are removable for easy cleaning – spot clean with a damp rag and mild soap
- Minimal assembly required – customer must connect legs to chairs & table – assembly instructions and hardware included in package
5. Consider Organization Of The Space
Organization is still important in your outdoor kitchen.
Put together a pull-out utensils drawer for hanging all your BBQ and oven tools. Cabinets are must-haves too!
You will also be prepping veggies and seasoning meat so you need a trash can as well, serving trays, and more. So depending on your the items you will use, have the right organization in place for a clutter-free space.
6. An Outdoor Kitchen Island
Looking to add convenience and fun to your backyard? Then install a kitchen island.
It can provide extra working space, seating space around, or even extra storage
8. Build a Pergola
Even the best outdoor kitchens need a little shelter every now and then, especially when harmful UV rays are at their most fearsome, to ensure the durability of your countertops. appliances, fabrics, seating as well as ensure the comfort of the users.
If temperamental umbrellas aren’t your style, consider building pergola or gazebo creations.
Cabana slat beams and beadboard paneling to line the underside of your patio roof will also provide a finished look.
9. Add Lighting
The right lighting is a vital part of your kitchen as it enhances visibility and opens up the space.
Create someplace warm and inviting by hanging simple string lights as they can make a major impact. Solar lights will help give off a warm glow come night time.
Go ahead and dine al fresco!
- 【Great Outdoor String Lights with Energy-Saving and Long-Lasting LED Bulbs】: In order to help you create the same ambience but with less energy and longer lifetime, Lakumu provides you with commercial grade LED string lights, which will beautify the night of your world and create comfortable and great ambience that you need indeed. It can be used at your party, backyard, garden, restaurant, bar, patio and so the like. It’s bound to surprise and satisfy you as long as you possess it.
- 【Weatherproof & Shatterproof Make It Safe to Use Outdoors】: The bulbs are plastic material, which makes them safer than glass bulbs to use. And the industrial grade weatherproof technology ensures you can use them no matter what the weather is, including rainy day, windy day, snowy day, sunny day, and even frozen day. What’s more, these lights are waterproof with IP 65 and have withstood winds blowing at 50 MPH. All of these qualities enhance its outdoor applicability.
- 【Linkable & Dimmable Characteristics Broaden Its Applications】：Do you worry that 48ft isn’t long enough to decorate your space? Take it easy, our string lights are end-to end connection, and they can be linkable up to 35 packs. Besides, the lights will be compatible with dimmer, so you can adjust the brightness gradually to create the atmosphere for special occasions. Nice tip: Dimmer is NOT included in the package.
- 【48FT 2 Pack 15 E26 Sockets 3 Spare Bulbs】: 2 packs 48ft string lights with 15 E26 sockets are approved for residential and commercial lighting and they never get hot even after being on for hours. Although parallel circuit means one burnt bulb has no effect on the rest, and we didn’t received this problem review for the last several months, we provide you with 3 spare bulbs for 2 packs. (NOTE Please - Made for use with 110v.)
- 【Super Easy To Install】: The dimmable patio lights are very easy to assemble, it only takes you several minutes to screw 15 bulbs for each pack porch hanging lights, 30 ones in total. The hooks for each socket can be used to fix the heavy duty lights better on your walls, fences, poles or some places else. (💝Warm tips: please screw every bulbs tightly enough in order to avoid such issue that effect the whole pack working).
10. Fix your Countertops
Outdoor countertops must be weather-resistant, waterproof, and sturdy enough to withstand the weather elements all year.
Concrete countertops are a durable choice while the pricier stainless steel is able to resist tarnish and damage from rain.
Others prefer stone countertops. For instance, bluestone countertops are beautiful, but brittle and can accumulate stains over time. Granite, on the other hand, is a perfect option for both covered and uncovered countertops because of its longevity, aesthetic appeal, and stain/fade resistance.
Wood countertops also stand out but require more maintenance thus suited for covered outdoor kitchens.
Similarly, tiled countertops will require frequent maintenance as they are susceptible to grout dirt or cracking in cold areas.
Convinced to build an outdoor kitchen? Let us know!