Terracotta is a hot decor item right now. But it’s not new. In fact, terracotta decor has been around and gone in and out of style for decades!
When it comes to decorating our homes, using colors can have a profound impact on mood and emotion.
Terracotta is a bold color.
While it can be really intimidating when you prefer neutral colors, why not step out of your comfort zone and try to decorate your home with terracotta?
What Color is Terracotta?
“Terracotta” comes from the Italian words for “baked earth“. Terracotta is an earthy shade of orange, popularly considered burnt orange.
However, terracotta can have many different hues ranging from orange to brown; it is very rich though-just think of how terractotta pots can look.
This rich color of the earth can easily warm up your house and create an inviting atmosphere. No wonder it’s perfect for fall decor.
Terracotta is easy to mix and match, working nicely with warm colors and materials like wood, as well as cold colors like blues and materials like concrete for the perfect contrasting effect.
You May Also Like: How to Decorate a Maximalist Living Room
How to Decorate with Rich Colors
Terracotta is rich in color and looks great whether paired with other rich and bold colors or muted colors. Gather tips for decorating your home with rich colors below before we get started:
1. Match Your Rich Color with the Largest Pattern in the Room
For a cohesive room, it is important to match your colors so your maximalist interiors can also look put together.
Thus, if you have textiles in the room like a patterned or colorful rug or curtains, choose an interior color scheme from the largest pattern in the room.
This also gives every decor item a reason to be because the room will be tied together.
2. Vary Your Colours Or Shades Vertically
Rich colors can come off as very overwhelming, sometimes. To minimize the effect, vary the shades vertically.
I mean, use darker hues of the color for the floors to anchor your space–a good rich rug would be handy. Use medium color hues for furniture then the walls; you can finish the ceiling with the lightest hues.
Whether you use one color for monochromatic interiors or use different colors in varying shades, this natural transition of color mimics our outdoors where the earth is darker, vegetation is lighter and the sky is the lightest in color.
- Unique Design: Boho tassel design, stylish and elegant--Each edge is securely sewed with exquisite tassels, not only eye-catching but also crafted, creating a cute look and bringing your fall home a cozy feeling. Color may be different in different light or on different screen.
- Plush Fabric: 2 pieces of 18 x 18 inch / 45 x 45 cm velvet fall pillow covers with tassels. Inserts or fillers are NOT INCLUDED. Super fine velvet, ultra soft, kids and pets friendly, smooth to touch and comfortable to lay on. Breathable, heat-resistant, warm and moisture absorbent, this outstanding fabric exhibits beautiful luster and creates a luxury touch.
- Zipper Closure: Hidden zipper sewed with neat stitches, works smoothly. Reinforced seams avoid ripping or fraying, providing you durable using experience.
- Perfect Decoration: Suitable for decorating fall, living room, bedroom, halloween decor, patio, lawn, porch, balcony, couch, sofa, etc.. Accent the whole room look in a budget way and leave your guests great impression with good taste. Also a nice gift for your families and friends
- Washing Tips: Hand Wash recommended, Machine Washable in gentle mode. Tumble Dry Low, Do Not Iron. After each wash and dry, the pillow cover will be softer and plusher
3. Decorate Formal Rooms First
When decorating your home, it is prudent to start by decorating your living room first.
It is perhaps the most important room in the house and once you’re done, you can always a pull a color from the palette and transfer to other rooms, in similar shades or varying hues of the color.
However, if you’re not a decorating pro and unsure about using rich colors in your living room, feel free to experiment with other rooms around the house like your bedroom and if the palette looks great, transfer to your living room.
You May Also Like: Top 7 Mistakes To Avoid In Maximalist Design For Your Home
What Colors Go Well With Terracotta?
1. Contrasting Color Schemes
Directly opposite on the color wheel, contrasting colors like blue tones are a natural fit for terracotta- think navy blue, light blue or even indigo.
The key is to mix and match deeper shades of terracotta with deeper shades of blue, and lighter shades alike.
- MID-CENTURY MODERN DESIGN: Our loveseat brings a simple, sleek style to your home by blending iconic splayed legs and smooth upholstery. With its clean lines and exceptional design, this set uses new materials to reimagine a traditional look.
- BUTTON TUFTED WAFFLE STITCH: The button tufted stitching in the backrest offers an extra touch of sophistication that enhances its contemporary design. The waffle stitch pattern adds a bit of texture without sacrificing any comfort.
- UPHOLSTERED: Our loveseat is generously upholstered, giving any room a refined appearance. This provides a smooth, immaculate texture for this piece as well as cozy cushioning for plush seating.
- RUBBERWOOD: Our environmentally-friendly wood not only offers plenty of durability, but it also gives this piece a beautiful natural-grain look. Combined with a gorgeous finish, this wood will truly stand out in any room.
- IDEAL FOR SMALL SPACES: This loveseat offers a compact design that makes this perfect for apartments or small spaces. This piece is 67.25” W x 30.50” D x 32.75” H with a seat height of 18.50 inches.
Burnt orange mingles with rich, verdant greens to create an energetic room. These colors compliment each other so well, looking especially stunning when used in saturated shades. Think terracotta and jungle or olive green.
You May Also Like: How To Create A Cozy Organic Modern Interior
3. Greys & Blacks
Why not add some terracotta to spice up the greys and blacks in a room? These colors present a backdrop upon which to decorate and inject warmth with terracotta.
Choose warming shades of grey with warm terracotta colors, and deeper shades of grey of deeper terracotta accents.
Terracotta and brown are both earthly shades that blend well together to create a harmonious interior. These saturated colors are perfect to create a cozy bedroom, especially when terracotta is used to slightly brighten the walls.
5. Yellow Shades
These analogous warm colors, when combined, transform an apartment into a warm and inviting space.
Add yellow throw pillows to a terracotta sofa and the combination emanates joy and energy when applied as a color scheme for your interiors!
Now that you have some tips to decorate your home with rich colors, let’s help you decorate your home with terracotta:
How to Decorate your Home with Terracotta
Oranges, unlike red, which can be overwhelming in a room, can have a variety of personalities. Some are vibrant and exciting, while others, like terracotta, are more subdued and neutral.
Using terracotta, you can create unusual combinations using different terracotta shades in your interiors! Think sunset color, untreated clay, carrot, brick, sienna, and pumpkin among others.
Try these tips next time and curate such stylish interiors:
1. Terracotta Color Palettes For Furniture
Furniture improves the functionality of any space, thus, a core in interior design. Use furniture in terracotta color to not only add a pleasing sense of order in your home but also to act as a focal point or an accent to your space.
While neutral furniture is a popular choice, a bod sofa, or bed in terracotta color can be stylish and attractive. Just remember to choose furniture that complements the other decor items within the space so the whole room is tied together.
In this case, add accessories like poufs or blankets and other textured prints in the same color as the terracotta item–think the sofa– to spread the color around the room and create balance.
To use terracotta as accent furniture, choose a sofa or bed in the color These large pieces of furniture anchor the space whilst standing out.
However, if your floor color is dark and you’ve chosen a darker terracotta sofa or bed, for instance, create a clear visual space between the floor and furniture item so it does not seem to appear in the room.
A darker terracotta bed or sofa with metal or light wood legs can help achieve this. You can also use a patterned, lighter or bolder rug under the front area of your sofa to separate the dark colors and make the sofa color pop.
- Comfortable material: high quality flannel texture, skin-friendly, breathable, non-fading.
- Non-slip mat design: better protection of the floor.
- Rugged and durable: sturdy metal legs, sturdy and lightweight, easy to move, bearing 200kg.
- ❤ Multifunctional – Dining chairs set are suitable for kitchen, living room, office, coffee, patio etc.Chairs are very suitable as a holiday gift for family and friends, very durable and beautiful!
- ❤ After-sales service - If you are not satisfied with our product,just contact us through Amazon Email and we will solve your all issues to meet your 100% satisfaction. Just have a try! We believe our Dining chairs set will not let you down.
You May Also Like: Rug Placement Ideas Around Your Home
It is prudent to choose your furniture first before proceeding to pick a paint color, especially if you’re gravitating towards really strong, bright colors like terracotta for your chairs, sofas, and beds. That way, neutral wall color is easy to style against.
However, you might opt for brighter wall colors (like those shared above) as long as they complement your terracotta furniture well. The trick is to pick lighter or muted shades of your bright color.
You May Also Like: 15 Ways To Decorate Your Walls- No Painting Needed!
2. Terracotta For Walls
If you want to paint your house white, go ahead and do it. However, if you want to be more daring with color and choose terracotta, a feature wall is a great place to start!
The amount of light your room gets will determine how bright or muted your terracotta walls appear.
South-facing rooms tend to be consistently bright throughout the day with warm yellow, golden tones from the good natural sunlight all day long.
In such rooms, you have the opportunity to try muted tones of terracotta as the sun will complement the walls’ intensity and turn up their vibrancy. This will ensure the rooms don’t look too warm and tacky when the sun hits them.
If you don’t have many windows, like in north-facing rooms, go warm to help brighten your room. Choose brighter shades of terracotta as a truly bold color won’t make the space seem even darker.
What Color Curtains go with Terracotta Walls?
When choosing curtains for your terracotta walls, look around your room and pick our a dominant color you’d want to tie to. Whether it’s your rug, or other accents within the room, pick a color that will create a perfect contrast or blend well.
The key is to not use terracotta in your curtains again, when your walls are painted in terracotta color.
You May Also Like: How To Create The Ultimate Feature Wall
Decor Tip: Terracotta shades always inject warmth to your interiors. Thus, when choosing a color palette for the interior, avoid too harsh, cold and stark colors like brilliant whites. as they create a harsh contrast that is not appealing.
3. Accent With Terracotta
Another way to decorate with terracotta is to use terracotta-colored accessories. This is a subtle way to use the color, especially if you just want a hint of the color in your decor.
For starters, introduce terracotta into your home through fabric. Throw pillows, blankets and rugs in terracotta can add a pop of color, warmth and depth without the brashness of a brighter shade.
You can also use other decor accents in fewer additions. Create a collection of terracotta vases on your table surfaces or if you’re a plant lover, rehome your favorite plant in terracotta pots by the balcony.
- Applicable scene:living room,office，dining table, bedroom, tabletop, bed head,ect. it adds a stylish and artistic look to your home.
- High quality：The vase adopts the biscuit firing process, which is made of excellent porcelain clay by tens of processes such as high-temperature firing, and the surface shows matte frosted texture, not reflective, not shiny, and have more comfortable visual experienceSimple and unique abstract shaped design will make the vase beautiful both with and without flowers. The plain color is suitable for both dried flowers and silk flowers.
- Unglazed: ceramic vases made by traditional handicrafts are stronger in texture.The rustic and natural surface of each looks slightly different, each is actually a unique vase, which is the charm of handmade.I'm sure you'll appreciate its beauty.
- Great gift：It is an ideal gift for family and friends, especially for those who like unique decorative vases and modern minimalist vases.
- Eastern Rock：Design according to the needs of the times, pay attention to the unity of the use function and aesthetic function of the product.
You May Also Like: 20+ Houseplant Decor Ideas To Inject Life Into Your Home
Lighting fixtures in terracotta are another good option, as are statement wall art pieces in a striking terracotta shade.
You May Also Like: Top 7 Mistakes To Avoid In Maximalist Design For Your Home
Would you decorate your home with terracotta too?