Having worked from home on and off over the years, I have come to appreciate how impactful my workspace is. Yes, the decor is important since your surroundings have a direct impact on your creativity and your overall mood.
However, today, I wanted to review some of the best home office setups for productivity.
After all, that should be the focus of our design. These office decor ideas are not expensive but will help your efficiency since they will help you to focus on your job.
Let's dive in...
How Do I Set Up A Home Office?
First, take a few moments to review all areas of your home to consider which space would be best claimed as a work environment.
Try your best not to rush this process and be mindful that interruptions will affect your productivity.
If you are fortunate enough to have a dedicated room, such as an empty bedroom that can be used for office space, then your space is pretty much an easy setup.
However, if this is not your case, look for other areas in your house, such as a finished basement or attic.
The point is, if you are going to be productive, you would want to avoid having to pack up your office at the end of each workday.
Therefore, using a kitchen table or another area that is shared by others in the home would not be the best choice.
If space is tight, you may need to think outside of the box.
For example, how about using a large empty closet and removing the doors to create a dedicated space for your work environment?
Some people may find this a bit too closed off, and if that is your case, how about finding a corner within a room?
Consider An IKEA Corner Desk Idea
Corner nooks work great for your home office since a corner desk will provide plenty of working space. Second, corners of a room are usually near a window which gives you the extra benefit of sunlight.
- L-shaped: fits nicely in a corner; same length on both sides for maximum space; can accommodate 2 or 3 monitors
- Versatile: works well as an office desk, computer desk, writing or drawing desk, gaming desk, crafting space, and more
- Cable cut-outs: the middle board provides cut-outs for running cables
- Durable construction: made of 60% metal and 40% particle board for sturdy, reliable strength
- Dims and warranty: measures 55.1 by 55.1 by 30 inches (simple assembly required); backed by an Amazon Basics 1-year limited warranty
To keep your office area private, consider placing a decorative privacy wall to keep the space divided from the rest of your home.
Adding a privacy wall is especially crucial if your workspace is in your bedroom as this would “allow” you to feel a little discounted from your work environment.
- ROOM DIVIDER SCREEN (8-PANEL, BEIGE) — This partition style screen divides your room for privacy or simply to display as a decorative accent
- CREATES PRIVACY — Suitable for dressing privacy, porch privacy, privacy from neighbors on patio — Covers windows, blocks off unsightly items, divides sleeping areas for guests
- VERSATILE USE — Ideal sunscreen, home decor, partition furniture, decor screen panels, patient divider for clinics — Makes room distinctions without real walls — Adds intrigue and defines space in studio apartment, living room, bedroom, kids room, sunroom, laundry area, backyard patio, and more — Complements bohemian, modern, traditional, rustic farmhouse styles
- FOLDABLE PANELS — No assembly required — 2-way hinges allow for folding in either direction and provides arrangement flexibility — Simply slide the two shelves into the divider and expand to the length of your preference — Lightweight and easy to move — Folds close for storage when not in use
- DECORATIVE DESIGN — Stylish diamond weave pattern in beige — Made of Russian camphor pine and paper rope — Has 8 panels — Double-hinged for folding — If used outdoors, protect from elements and store indoors after use — Each panel approx. 19.50” wide — Overall unit measures approximately 130” L x 19.50” W x 69” H
IKEA Desk Ideas
How Do I Build A Cheap Home Office?
Many people try to over-complicate this process, but in reality, a cheap home office setup involves the following: a desk, a way to stay organized, and some privacy.
Since most of your time will be spent on your desk, it’s essential to make this the focal point of your design.
Of course, you need to be comfortable; therefore, your choice of seating is also important.
With office chairs, think about whether ergonomics or design are more important to you. If you have to sit for long periods of time, it might be best to get an ergonomic chair to avoid back and neck pain, even if the design isn't your absolute favorite.
But if you only need to sit for short periods of time, think about whether you'd like a comfy, decorative chair instead.
Some of our favorite home office chair ideas:
Use Professional Office Decor Ideas To Get Home Office Ideas
The positive aspects of working from home are apparent. However, working from home also has some real challenges which can be discouraging and hurt the growth of your business.
If we examine some of the benefits of working in a professional environment, we can incorporate some of those ideas right into our own home office spaces.
In other words, when you show up for work, you realize you are there for one main reason, to earn a living.
Best Home Office Setup For Productivity
For optimal productivity, try to include the following:
- Proper office equipment: desk, printers, scanners, etc. We love the HP Deskjet Printer for its sleek design, and the fact that you can copy, scan, and print from your laptop or phone!
- Ways to stay organized: filing cabinet, shelves, wall bins.
- To help you maintain a set schedule include a clock in your decor.
- A whiteboard
- Tools for productivity such as project management software.
- Privacy to reduce distractions from family and friends.
Remember that your shelves and wall bins don't have to look corporate! These days, it's easy to find items that match the rest of your decor.
For example, these organization tools would look great with farmhouse or minimalist decor:
- 30W x 20D x 30H Lateral File Cabinet accepts legal, letter A4-sized documents
- Drawers open on smooth full-extension ball bearing slides for an easy reach to contents
- Filing cabinet matches height of Key West Desks (sold separately) for an extended work surface when positioned side by side
- File drawers feature unique X pattern accents that add to Key West's casual style
- Sturdy and attractive post leg design withstands years of use in a home office or living room
- Double&Open Design: This sturdy double wide bookcase with 12 open shelves that are spacious for storing books and displaying attractive showpieces in your living room, study, bedroom and office decor.
- Modern Industrial Flair: brown shelves contrasted with the black metal frame adds rustic industrial charm to any space. A classic yet functional bookshelf to be display in any room.
- Tall Bookcase Dimension(W x D x H): 60.6"x 13.8" x 80.7"-Inches; Height between Shelves: 14.2-inch. Each shelf (6 shelf) can accommodate up to 160 lbs.
- Reliable Construction: It pairs high level MDF board with wood grain PVC（NOT SOLID WOOD） and clean-lined metal frame ensure the etagere bookcase can hold a considerable amount of weight.
- Convenient to Assemble: Easy assembly tools and step-by-step instructions, makes it easily and effortlessly to install.
- TIDY DESK, TIDY MIND: Use Tidear Desk Organizer to tidy up your desk, improve your concentration, boost your effectiveness and reduce your daily stress. An organized desk is even good for your mental health!
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL: This cute modern organizer box can hold all your pens, pencils, remote controls, glasses, sticky notes, makeups, cards, etc. You can also use this desktop caddy for organization of your end table, nightstand, vanity table and school desk.
- PERFECT SIZE: Approx. L×W×H: 7.1" × 5.8" × 3.9" / 18.2cm × 14.5cm × 9.8cm. One bigger compartment and 4 smaller ones. With removable wooden dividers you can customize the compartments to your preferred sizes & clean the desktop organizer easily.
- CAPACITY: 5 compartments with enough storage space to organize all your daily used small items at home, school, and office.
- CLEAN DESIGN: TIDEAR Desk Organizer adopts Minimalist Design Ideas. Simple Design, Super Functional!
Use Your Home Office Decor For Being Productive
Like many of you, I enjoy my short commute to work but…
Since I am passionate about my business, it’s really easy to fall prey to working endlessly; therefore, you need to ask yourself the following questions.
Do you LIVE to work, or do you WORK to live?
Although you can find enjoyment in your work, PLEASE keep your priories as your primary motivation.
I realized that it could be easier said than done; however, these action steps will help you accomplish that.
TIP # 1 Design Your Days
Create a work schedule that follows those of your family members so you can devote your off hours to them if possible.
For example, if you have children, why not focus on your hardest work tasks while they are at school?
TIP # 2 Design Your Morning Routine
Most successful business people will testify that waking up early is vital as you are the most productive.
The morning is quiet, and your mind will be more focused.
TIP # 3 Work SMART, not hard.
Many of us can get distracted easily when working; therefore, to help avoid this, create a TO-LIST of goals you wish to accomplish for the day. It could be as simple as writing things down on a sheet of paper.
For me, I run my business and life off my whiteboard. Over the years, I tried online planners, calendars, and software but have never felt they were as effective.
One reason why this works so well is that I can quickly grab my dry eraser marker and scribble a quick idea or task throughout the day.
This helps me clear my thoughts and allows me to get back to my current project.
Second, having your goals, notes, and projects as a consistent reminder not only gives you a sense of urgency but also helps you prioritize tasks to be the most effective.
Office Decor Ideas - DIY Dry-Erase Planner
Whiteboards or dry-erase boards need two things in order for them to work.
- Smooth writing surfaces such as glass or acrylic
- Writing tool.
Acrylic whiteboards can be very costly, so as an alternative, you can use a large glass picture frame.
Clock In With Style
This may sound a little odd, but I find it helpful to have a clock in my master bathroom. It helps keep me punctual as it consistently reminds me time never stops.
Further, I use Alexa to set timers and alarms throughout my workday.
Limit Your Distractions
Would your family call you endlessly if you were in a professional office setting? No!
If you find people are not respecting your time, first evaluate what message you are giving out. One phone call can disrupt your workflow for more than the time you are on that conversation.
Set your boundaries and train those around you.
If you are UNABLE to do so, you may need to rethink being self-employed. I get you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, so communicate your reasons.
Please, don't overcomplicate your approach...
The Best Home Office Setup For Productivity Includes Ways To Stay Organized
Here are a few of my favorite ways to create a stylish office. We built a 10-foot-long drafting-style desk for two.
To keep things off my desk, I use wire baskets for paperwork. Once the paperwork is completed they are filed in a cabinet.
To define the spaces between my husband and me, I used different tabletop lighting and mugs to hold some odds and ends.
Not sure how or why I currently have construction pencils, screwdrivers, or iPad styluses in my mug...but I'm sure my husband will think I stole them.
home office decor should be filled with things that make you happy and motivate you to be successful in your business. The office design should be functional, but it can definitely be pretty too and match the rest of your decor!" data-pin-title="The Best Home Office Ideas for Productivity" />
Home Office Inspo
When designing your office, try to arrange your furniture to best utilize your real estate.
For the most part, I like to begin by anchoring the room where the desk will live. What?! I know...let me try to paint you a picture.
In one of our previous properties, we did not have a spare room to create an office.
Instead, we used the mudroom which was located off the garage. The previous owner used it as his auto part store!
Surround Yourself With What Inspires You
This should be easy as it's a personal one.
As we become adults we get burdened down with responsibilities, chores, and things that are NOT fun.
Fill your office with things that bring you pleasure.
Let me provide you with the definition of pleasure: causing a feeling of pleasure or enjoyment, a mood.
Now, that we are on the same page - let's create your mood.
For those of you who are in the creative field, you know what makes you happy and gives you those butterflies...use that to inspire your space.
Home Office Decor On A Budget
A desk is made up of a tabletop and something to hold it up.
Keep it simple by purchasing two inexpensive bookshelves for your base and using a piece of wood as your top.
Ikea is always a good idea.
Growing up in New Jersey and New York, we are naturally drawn to anything but a cookie-cutter style.
So our simple desk would consist of something like... finding an old door as your tabletop and if it's not leveled, purchase a glass for it.
We're not that simple but we're frugal.
Make Good Use Of Your Wall Space
The last thing you want in your home office space is an uninspiring, blank wall.
But you don't want something distracting, either. To make the best use of your office wall, aim to include a wall clock. This will help you stay organized and on time.
We love this wall clock for its sleek, modern design:
To motivate yourself in your home office, you can print out some of your favorite inspirational quotes or get motivational posters.
And to keep you in a good mood, print out your favorite photos, or at least a few!
Finally, you can create a bulletin board of to-dos and accomplishments on top of a beautiful fabic.
Best Home Office Ideas To Increase Productivity - Conclusion
The best home office setup for productivity is one that helps you stay inspired and allows you to truly enjoy the workspace.
Your home office decor should be filled with things that make you happy and motivate you to be successful in your business. The office design should be functional, but hey let's make it pretty too 😉
For more home styling tips and tricks, drop by anytime. Hey, we’re always up for company.